|Posted by: Bob Barney-RaceRap.com on May 29, 2018 at 8:15am|
Chris Ferguson Scores $5000 Win at Cherokee
Chris Ferguson notched his 17th all-time Carolina Clash victory and 5th at Cherokee Speedway in the Mike Butler Memorial Race, which paid tribute to the long-time Cherokee Speedway photographer. Benji Hicks of Mt. Airy, North Carolina, fresh off a win at 311 Speedway on Friday night, captured the $100 Parks Heating & Cooling of Indian Trail, NC “Parks Way Fast Time” at 15.014 seconds, just 0.011 seconds quicker than Ferguson, who qualified second.
At the onset, Ferguson and Hicks battled hard in turns one and two at Cherokee, which saw two-distinctive racing lanes emerge during the event, as heavy lapped traffic gave much of the top ten many anxious moments throughout the 40 lap tribute.
Hicks was able to lead to the lap one completion, but a spin among cars that began to domino off one another near the rear of the field halted the pace. Hicks continued to lead until a lap 14 pass from Ferguson during the race-high 30 lap green flag run until a lap 31 caution. The action was intense during that run as lead pack cars battled with lapped cars in a turf war.
Johnny Pursley and Ross Bailes battled with Brett Hamm, Joey Coulter and Billy Hicks during this run as they often ran side-by-side on Cherokee’s dual lanes in the turns. The caution waved for Brett Hamm who fell off the pace, shedding debris along the backstretch on lap 31.
Following the single-file restart, Ferguson was able to separate himself from Coulter who had cleared Pursley and Bailes and Hicks for second. Ferguson led the final nine laps capturing the flag and the beautiful trophy furnished by the track in memory of Mike Butler.
Jimmy McNamara of Denver, North Carolina raced from his 15th starting spot to finish 11th, earning the Speed.51.com Hard Charger of the Race and the $51 bonus.
Adam Yarbrough had a rough night as he debuted a new power plant in his #57 entry. The two-time Speed51.com Hard Charger for 2018 pitted after 17 laps, earning the Safety-Kleen Orange Scrubbers Hard Luck Award.
POS ST # NAME HOMETOWN LAPS
1. 2 22 Chris Ferguson Mt. Holly, NC 40
2. 4 2C Joey Coulter Concord, NC 40
3. 3 3 Johnny Pursley Clover, SC 40
4. 6 87 Ross Bailes Clover, SC 40
5. 1 55 Benji Hicks Mt. Airy, NC 40
6. 5 421 Anthony Sanders Spartanburg, SC 40
7. 9 00 Jeff Smith Dallas, NC 40
8. 8 2 Dennis Franklin Gaffney, SC 40
9. 10 9 Greg Clark Stanly, NC 39
10. 13 29 Larry Grube Mauldin, SC 39
11. 15 23 Jimmy McNamara Denver, NC 39
12. 14 03 David Yandle Monroe, NC 38
13. 17 27 James Plemmons Wellford, SC 38
14. 18 2E Jason Edison Lowell, NC 35
15. 7 18 Brett Hamm Newberry, SC 30
16. 19 70 Craig Herndon Grover, NC 24
17. 11 57 Adam Yarbrough Denver, NC 17
18. 12 42 Doug Sanders Springwood, NC 14
19. 16 357 David Todd Abbeville, SC 2
Parks Heating & Cooling “Parks Way” Fast Time Award - $100
Benji Hicks – 15.014 seconds.
Speed51.com Hard Charger of the Race - $51
Jimmy McNamara – up four spots
Safety-Kleen Orange Scrubbers Hand Soap “Hard Luck Award” – gallon of hand soap.
Performance Plus Motor Oils “Final in Feature” – case of Performance Plus Motor Oil
HEATS/CONSI RACES: NONE
Feature event lineup was set by qualifying due to threatening weather.
Time of Race: 20.54 sec. (under green) 23.35 (total elapsed time)
Lap Leaders: Benji Hicks (1-14); Chris Ferguson (15-40).