A Rap Board for Race Fans
Welcome to Race Rap! A Rap Board for Race Fans
Top News
The Plain Truth News
Aug 29, 2019 -
TV personality Jessi Combs, dies trying to break land speed record in jet car...

The Plain Truth News
Aug 29, 2019 -
Today in The Plain Truth

The Plain Truth News
Aug 29, 2019 -

The Plain Truth News
Aug 29, 2019 -

Please patronize our sponsors!
Red Letter Bible

Tamco Paint.Com NOW ONLINE

Tamco Marine-Fleet-OEM Coatings

  7:37am   Past Hour
  6:37am   1-4 hrs old
  3:37am   4-12 hrs
  7:37pm   12-24 hrs
  7:37am   Over 24 hrs
     Registered Key
     Referred Key
RaceRap News & Messageboard  Page topnews: Viewing Top News Article
   Viewing Top News Article
Langley Speedway

Langley Speedway News
Falk overcomes adversity to post 6th Late Model win
Jul 19, 2009 - updated Jul 19th, 2009 10:49am
Web posted by Gary Daughtrey

Hampton, VA --

NASCAR Whelen All-American Series at Langley Speedway

Med Express Urgent Care Night Race Report Saturday, July 18, 2009

C.E. Falk overcame a late afternoon engine change and picked up his sixth win of the season in the Med Express Urgent Care 100 for the Crossroads Fuel Service Late Model Stock Cars, the featured event of Saturday evening’s NASCAR Whelen All-American Series program at Langley Speedway.
Danny Edwards Jr., second to Falk in the division standings, nabbed the pole position, circling the .395-mile oval at 87.282 mph. Greg Edwards was second-fastest, only nine-thousandths of a second off his brother’s pace. Falk, with just a few practice laps on his new engine, claimed the third starting spot, while Matt Waltz and Woody Howard completed the top five on the 16-car grid.
As the race got under way, Danny Edwards Jr. leaped into the lead, beating Greg Edwards into Turn 1. Greg quickly slid in line on Danny’s bumper, followed by Falk, Howard and Mark Wertz, who pulled ahead of Waltz on lap 3.

The first caution flag appeared on lap 8 when Waltz and Paul DeBolt tangled and Waltz spun in Turn 2. Both drivers retreated to the rear of the field for the ensuing restart.
Back under green, the top eight runners bolted in nose-to-tail formation. Things began to get stretched out, though, as Wertz moved up to challenge Howard for the fourth spot. Between laps 10 and 17, they traded the position three times. Wertz eventually gained the clear-cut edge on lap 20. By then, however, the front three had driven away by over half a straightaway.
While Wertz and Howard were battling, there was a change near the front as Falk slipped past Greg Edwards on lap 12 to pick up the second spot. The exchange allowed Danny Edwards Jr. to extend his lead to five car-lengths.

Little by little, Falk closed in on the leader. At the halfway mark, the margin was two lengths and shrinking. By lap 53, the two were bumper-to-bumper. Meanwhile, third-place Greg Edwards had fallen nearly a straightaway behind.
The second, and what would turn out to be the final, caution flag waved on lap 58. Seeing cars skating off Turn 4, officials threw the yellow so they could take a closer look at the corner. Setting the lineup for the restart, Danny Edwards Jr. and Falk ran 1-2, followed by Greg Edwards, Wertz and Howard.

When the race resumed, Falk wasted no time in going after the lead, ducking to the inside of Danny Edwards Jr. into Turns 1 and 2. With Edwards maintaining a slim edge at the flagstand, the door-to-door duel lasted until lap 67 when Edwards pulled ahead by two lengths on the backstretch.
Falk took three laps to cool his tires and collect himself, then launched another bid on lap 70. He drove underneath Edwards in Turn 2 and grabbed the upper hand as they returned to the start/finish line. Just three laps later, Falk had fashioned a two-length lead.
On lap 83, Falk ran up on a slower car. He carefully navigated past, but the delay allowed Danny Edwards Jr. to close to within a car-length of his rear bumper.
That was as close as Edwards would get, however, as Falk stretched his advantage in the waning circuits and won by 0.863-second. Danny Edwards Jr. was second, followed by Greg Edwards and Wertz. Casey Wyatt, who started eighth, was fifth at the end.
DeBolt was sixth to the line, while Dean Shiflett, Howard, Shawn Balluzzo and Jeff Shiflett rounded out the top 10, all finishing on the lead lap.

In Victory Lane after the race, Falk passed the credit to his team: “First off, I have to thank my crew. In the past, I don’t think it’s even been 24 hours, we’ve gone through three motors and these guys never quit. I have to thank Mr. Randy Sears, who tried to get us back running. Unfortunately, I blew up his motor, too. I don’t know what my deal is, lately, but we got the old Chevrolet back out. Man, my crew is awesome. They worked their tails off for me and I love every one of ‘em to death and we had a great race tonight. One week late, but it’ll be all right.”
That last comment was a reference to his second-place finish in the July 11 Hampton Heat 200, a race that he controlled until the closing stages.
In the division standings, Falk now enjoys a 28-point lead over Danny Edwards Jr., 482-454.

In the evening’s other feature races:

Mark Claar took the lead on lap 29 and sailed to his first victory of the year in a 40-lapper for the Old Point National Bank Grand Stocks.
Jammie Goode, with five wins and a runner-up finish in six races, claimed the pole, at 78.812 mph. Ricky Derrick, Anthony Kincaid, Claar and Robbie Parker were second through fifth, respectively, on the starting grid.
On the start, Goode blasted into the lead, leaving Derrick to battle with Kincaid for second. Kincaid grabbed the spot, but Derrick returned the favor on lap 3. While Kincaid and Derrick tussled, Goode had opened a half-straightaway lead on the field.
Meanwhile, Claar was off to an inauspicious start, falling to eighth in the opening shuffle. He quickly righted the ship, though, and began to make his way through the pack. He grabbed fifth from Billy Fisher on lap 10 and picked off Parker for fourth on the following circuit.
At the head of the field, Derrick was closing in on Goode. He was within three lengths when Goode suddenly fell off the pace on lap 17, pulling to the inside of the track. Goode’s problems soon became apparent as a puff of white smoke belched from his exhaust pipe off Turn 2, bringing out the first caution flag.
With Goode sidelined, Derrick led the field to the restart, followed by Kincaid and Claar. Back under green, Derrick manufactured a slim edge as the second- and third-place runners duked it out.
On lap 22, Claar slipped under Kincaid in Turn 4. At the end of lap 23, Claar nosed ahead, then cleared Kincaid in Turn 2 on lap 24. The shuffle allowed Derrick to pull away by four lengths.
The second caution flag waved on lap 26 when Brandon Hinson skidded to a stop in Turn 3 with a flat right-front tire. Derrick, Claar, Kincaid, Parker and Fisher made up the top five for the restart.

As the race resumed, Claar latched onto the leader’s bumper and the lead duo pulled away from third-place Kincaid.
Claar continued to track Derrick until lap 28 when he poked a fender alongside the leader off Turn 4. Claar gained the lead, by half a car-length, at the end of lap 29 and cleared Derrick in Turn 2 on lap 30.
The third, and final, caution flag flew on lap 32 when Fisher’s engine expired. With flames licking from beneath the car, Fisher headed to the pits and to the attention of the track’s fire brigade.
On the last restart, Claar quickly opened a two-length advantage, only to see Derrick narrow the gap. Claar was the class of the field, though, and pulled away over the closing circuits to win by 0.656-second — about three lengths.
Derrick tailed Claar to the checkers, in second. His runner-up finish, combined with Goode’s early exit, moved Derrick atop the Grand Stock standings. He now leads Goode by eight points, 332-324.

Chris Johnson moved from third to first on lap 1, then held off points leader Shawn Balluzzo down the stretch to capture his fifth win in the 50-lap B&C Seafood Modified feature.
Jimmy Humblet snagged the pole, at 84.582 mph. Balluzzo was second-quickest, followed by Johnson, Michael Leech and Joe Scarbrough.
As the green flag waved, Humblet spun his tires at the start/finish line causing a brief logjam as the field headed toward Turn 1 for the first time. Spotting an opening to the inside, Johnson shot into the lead and brought Scarbrough along with him.
Rusty Wood, who started seventh, swiped third from Humblet on lap 2, while Balluzzo grabbed fourth, dropping the pole-sitter to fifth. Humblet gave up another spot on lap 4 as Cameron Patrick scooted past.
On lap 5, Balluzzo overtook Wood for third, while Patrick tagged along and grabbed fourth. Three laps later, Humblet passed Wood and returned to the top five.
At the front, working lap 9, Johnson was up by three lengths over Scarbrough, who had a mirror-full of Balluzzo.
The first caution flag appeared on lap 10.
Back under green, Johnson darted away by two lengths, while Balluzzo took a quick peek to the inside of Scarbrough. A lap later, Balluzzo pulled alongside Scarbrough off Turn 4 and took over second place on lap 12. Johnson was able to gain little ground as second traded hands and, soon, Balluzzo was parked on his bumper.
Just past the halfway mark, Balluzzo ran into a bit of trouble in Turn 4. As he and Johnson were making their way around Greg Burgess Jr., Balluzzo and Burgess made contact. Skittering sideways off the corner, Balluzzo made the save, but lost three lengths to the leader.
Caution #2 flew on lap 29.
As the race resumed, Johnson and Balluzzo broke away in nose-to-tail formation, opening a two-length gap between themselves and third-place Scarbrough.
Balluzzo continued to ride Johnson’s rear bumper until lap 31 when he took a particularly aggressive angle of attack into Turn 1. The bid came up empty and Johnson gained some breathing room off Turn 2.
Balluzzo had closed back to within half a car-length when the last of the race’s three caution flags appeared on lap 41.
On the final restart, Johnson quickly gained a two-length edge, but, just as quickly, Balluzzo trimmed the deficit. Balluzzo continued to stalk the leader until lap 46 when Johnson skated loose in Turn 4, opening the inside lane for just a moment.
Balluzzo was unable to take advantage of the slip and, following the bobble, Johnson remained rock-solid all the way to the finish, winning by 0.190-second — one car-length. Balluzzo was second, while Scarbrough, Patrick and Humblet completed the top five.

Tommy Nixon rallied from a spin, just past the midway point, and notched his fourth victory of the season in a 25-lap contest for the Med Express Urgent Care Super Trucks.
Nixon started on the pole, at 74.458 mph, sharing the front row with Robbie Davis. Rick Potter and Brad Adams made up Row 2, while Paul Hogge Sr. was fifth on the grid.
On the opening lap, Davis stayed on Nixon’s flank until they reached the end of the backstretch. Heading into Turn 3, Nixon grabbed the clear-cut edge and left the inside lane clear for Adams, who moved up to second place. Davis slipped to third, followed by Potter and Troy Turnage.
On lap 2, Davis turned the tables on Adams, regaining the runner-up spot as they sped down the backstretch. The exchange allowed Nixon to build a three-length lead.
In firm control of second place, Davis began to chop into Nixon’s advantage. By the halfway mark, he had closed the gap to one truck-length.
On lap 15, Davis tried to root his way to the inside of Nixon in Turns 1 and 2. Nixon looped his machine and the first caution flag appeared. Both drivers were sent to the rear of the field.
Under yellow, Adams assumed the top spot. His stay atop the leaderboard was short-lived, though, as officials spotted a problem with his exhaust pipe and ordered him to the pits for repairs. Adams’ quick visit to the pit lane handed the lead over to Potter.
Back under green, Potter pulled away by two lengths over Turnage. Meanwhile, deeper in the field, Davis slipped around Nixon. After just one green-flag lap, Davis and Nixon were back in the top five.
On lap 19, Davis and Nixon overtook Hogge and moved into third and fourth, respectively. One lap later, Nixon bypassed Davis on the backstretch for third. He picked off Turnage on lap 21 with Davis following closely behind, then went after Potter for the lead on lap 22.
Coming around to complete lap 22, Nixon drove under Potter off Turn 4 and completed the pass for the lead in Turn 1 on lap 23. Davis tried to follow Nixon’s cue, but, instead, he and Potter tangled in Turn 2 to bring out the second, and last, caution flag.
Lining up for the final restart, Nixon was back out front, followed by Turnage, Adams, Hogge and Lloyd Holbrook.
On the restart, Nixon forged a two-length advantage, while Adams slipped by Turnage for second. At the finish, Nixon was the winner by three lengths over Adams. Turnage was third, followed by Hogge. Davis salvaged a fifth-place finish, gaining two spots on the white-flag circuit.
• • •

NASCAR Whelen All-American Series at Langley Speedway

Hampton, VA

Med Express Urgent Care Night Race Results Saturday, July 18, 2009

Fin. Pos. (Car #) Driver; Laps Compl.

1. (40) C.E. Falk; 100
2. (26) Danny Edwards Jr.; 100
3. (27) Greg Edwards; 100
4. (55) Mark Wertz; 100
5. (10) Casey Wyatt; 100
6. (34) Paul DeBolt; 100
7. (06) Dean Shiflett; 100
8. (21) Woody Howard; 100
9. (48) Shawn Balluzzo; 100
10. (01) Jeff Shiflett; 100
11. (41) Wesley Falk; 99
12. (1) Kyle Waltz; 98
13. (90) Terry Carroll; 98
14. (44) Robbie Babb; 97
15. (4) Matt Waltz; 56
16. (12) Doug Warren; 39

Pole: D. Edwards - 87.282 mph.

GRAND STOCKS - 40 laps
Fin. Pos. (Car #) Driver; Laps Compl.

1. (3) Mark Claar; 40
2. (8) Ricky Derrick; 40
3. (4) Anthony Kincaid; 40
4. (12) Bobby Spivey; 40
5. (19) Robbie Parker; 40
6. (01) Chris Hott; 40
7. (99) Dalford Briley; 40
8. (81) Brandon Hinson; 40
9. (77) Carl Livingston; 40
10. (16) David Seed; 40
11. (7) Michael Leech; 40
12. (28) Billy Fisher; 31
13. (36) Jammie Goode; 16

Pole: Goode - 78.812 mph.

Fin. Pos. (Car #) Driver; Laps Compl.

1. (36) Chris Johnson; 50
2. (48) Shawn Balluzzo; 50
3. (30) Joe Scarbrough; 50
4. (20) Cameron Patrick; 50
5. (12) Jimmy Humblet; 50
6. (69) Rusty Wood; 50
7. (5) Michael Leech; 50
8. (6) Buster Horne Jr.; 50
9. (19) Kyle Wood; 19
10. (65) Jimmy Kibler; 50
11. (7) Steve Wagner; 48
12. (26) Steve McGuire; 42
13. (55) Greg Burgess Jr.; 39
14. (9) Frank Silva; 2

Pole: Humblet - 84.582 mph.

SUPER TRUCKS - 25 laps
Fin. Pos. (Truck #) Driver; Laps Compl.

1. (8) Tommy Nixon; 25
2. (51) Brad Adams; 25
3. (90) Troy Turnage; 25
4. (1) Paul Hogge Sr.; 25
5. (17) Robbie Davis; 25
6. (7) Lloyd Holbrook; 25
7. (14) Debbie Biesecker; 25
8. (21) Rick Potter; 25
9. (18) Cory Millard; 24
10. (52) Chris Bechtel; 12

Pole: Nixon - 74.458 mph.

Home  |  Contact

(c) Copyright 2019 RaceRap, LLC

[ Go To Top of Page ]

Tracksdie Weather

Driver Web Sites - Click Here



Click Here for entire list of tracks and series


RaceRap News & Photo Page
RaceRap News & Photo Page

Dillon Motor Speedway
Dillon Motor Speedway

Caraway Speedway
Caraway Speedway

Hickory Motor Speedway
Hickory Motor Speedway

Driver & Team Press Releases
Driver & Team Press Releases

Florence Motor Speedway
Florence Motor Speedway

Coastal Plains Raceway Park
Coastal Plains Raceway Park

Richmond International Raceway
Richmond International Raceway

Myrtle Beach Speedway
Myrtle Beach Speedway

Southside Speedway
Southside Speedway

Southern National Motorsports Park
Southern National Motorsports Park

Mountain View Speedway
Mountain View Speedway


Lonesome Pine Raceway
Lonesome Pine Raceway

ACE Speedway
ACE Speedway

Wake County Speedway
Wake County Speedway


Click Here for entire list of tracks and series

Pass Series Racing
Pass Series Racing

UARA Series
UARA Series

MiniStock Mayhem Series
MiniStock Mayhem Series

South East Limited Late Models Series
South East Limited Late Models Series

RaceRap, LLC