South Boston Speedway News
California's Ickler Takes Second Straight NASCAR East Win; Johnson Wins LMSC Race At South Boston Speedway
Jun 3, 2008 - updated Jun 3rd, 2008 12:06am
Web posted by
South Boston, VA. --
May 31 – West coast transplant Brian Ickler charged to his second consecutive NASCAR Camping World Series East victory Saturday night at South Boston Speedway.
Ickler, 22, of San Diego, Calif., led a dominant 149 laps of the Strutmasters.com 150. He then held off bids from runner-up Austin Dillon of Lewisville, N.C., and third-place Peyton Sellers of Danville, Va., through a late race caution that extended the event to 155 laps.
Dillon maintained his points lead by 19 over Ickler, who won the NASCAR Camping World Series combination race at Iowa Speedway May 18.
Eddie MacDonald of Rowley, Mass., celebrated his 100th career start by finishing fourth, followed by Matt Kobyluck of Uncasville, Conn. Completing the top 10 were Jody Lavender, Jeffrey Earnhardt, Steve Park, Marc Davis and Rogelio Lopez.
During post-race technical inspection, potential issues with the No. 15 car of Ickler were found. Additional information will be made available early next week.
NASCAR Camping World Series East-Strutmasters.com 150 Results
At South Boston Speedway
South Boston, Va.
Lap length: 0.4 miles
(Start position in parentheses)
1. (2) Brian Ickler, Poway, Calif., Chevrolet, 155 laps, 36.917 mph, $7,050.
2. (9) Austin Dillon, Lewisville, N.C., Chevrolet, 155, $2,815.
3. (11) Peyton Sellers, Danville, VA., Chevrolet, 155, $2,041.
4. (16) Eddie MacDonald, Rowley, Mass., Chevrolet, 155, $2,100.
5. (12) Matt Kobyluck, Uncasville, Conn., Chevrolet, 155, $1,300.
6. (23) Jody Lavender, Hartsville, S.C., Ford, 155, $2,675.
7. (20) Jeffrey Earnhardt, Mooresville, N.C., Chevrolet, 155, $1,175.
8. (17) Steve Park, East Northport, N.Y., Chevrolet, 155, $1,150.
9. (5) Marc Davis, Mitchelville, MD., Toyota, 155, $1,050.
10. (14) Rogelio Lopez, Aquascalientes, Mexico, Chevrolet, 155, $1,050.
11. (3) Bryon Chew, Mattituck, N.Y., Chevrolet, 155, $1,000.
12. (27) Jeff Anton, Russell, Mass., Chevrolet, 155, $975.
13. (10) Craig Goess, Greenville, N.C., Toyota, 155, $975.
14. (26) Ryan Duff, Hazard, Ky., Chevrolet, 155, $950.
15. (7) Jesus Hernandez, Fresno, Calif., Chevrolet, 155, $950.
16. (13) Jamie Hayes, Norlina, N.C., Chevrolet, 155, $925.
17. (31) Chase Mattioli, Long Pond, Pa., Ford, 154, $925.
18. (24) Jonathan Smith, Beacon Falls, Conn., Dodge, 154, $925.
19. (28) Dustin Delaney, Mayfield, N.Y., Chevrolet, 153, $925.
20. (8) Derek Thorn, Lakeport, Calif., Ford, 151, $900.
21. (4) John Salemi, Nashua, N.H., Chevrolet, 151, $900.
22. (22) Jason Cochran, Marion, N.C., Chevrolet, 149, $900.
23. (21) Richard Johns, Cornelius, N.C., Dodge, 146, $900.
24. (18) Richard Gould, North Brunswick, NJ, Chevrolet, 142, $900.
25. (6) Trevor Bayne, Knoxville, Tenn., Chevrolet, 141, $900.
26. (1) Ricky Carmichael, Clearwater, Fla., Chevrolet, 139, $2,400.
27. (15) Ben Stancill, Ayden, N.C., Chevrolet, 127, accident, $900.
28. (25) Max Dumarey, Gent, Belgium, Chevrolet, 127, radiator, $900.
29. (29) James Pritchard, Wharton, N.J., Dodge, 122, accident, $900.
30. (30) Todd Peck, Glenville, PA., Chevrolet, 67, accident, $900.
31. (32) Ian Henderson, Greenville, S.C., Chevrolet, 64, engine, $900.
32. (19) Alex Kennedy, Aztec, New Mexico, Chevrolet, 17, accident, $900.
Time of Race: 1 hour 40 minutes 46 seconds
Margin of Victory: under caution
Fastest Qualifier: R.Carmichael (89.759 mph, 16.043 seconds)
Caution Flags: 15 for 77 laps.
Lead Changes: 12 among 3 drivers.
Lap Leaders: B.Ickler 1-38; D.Thorn 39; B.Ickler 40-52; D.Thorn 53; B.Ickler 54-71;
D.Thorn 72; B.Ickler 73-83; D.Thorn 84; B.Ickler 85-133; A.Dillon 134; B.Ickler 135-152;
A.Dillon 153; B.Ickler 154-155.
Standings: 1. A.Dillon, 520; 2. B.Ickler, 501; 3. S.Park, 435; 4. E.MacDonald, 423; 5.
M.Davis, 418; 6. J.Earnhardt, 400; 7. M.Kobyluck, 394; 8. T.Bayne, 391; 9. R.Lopez, 390;
10. J.Hernandez, 385.
Courtesy of Turn 1 Photo
Johnson Wins LMSC Race At South Boston Speedway
South Boston, VA.
Justin Johnson of Durham, N.C. became the second repeat winner of the season in the Barkhouser Late Model Stock Car Division at South Boston Speedway with a win in the 150-lap race that was part of Saturday night’s Strutmasters.com 150 racing program.
Johnson took the lead from Ford driver Wayne Ramsey of Amherst, Va. on lap 52 after a four-lap side-by-side battle with Ramsey for the top spot. Two caution periods, one on lap 67 and another on lap 95, gave Ramsey opportunities to attempt to make a move on Johnson, but Johnson was able to pull away after about five green-flag laps on both occasions.
Deac McCaskill of Raleigh, N.C. sped past Ramsey to take second place with 37 laps to go and held onto the runner-up spot to record his best finish at South Boston Speedway in recent seasons.
Johnson’s margin of victory in his second win of the season was 1.960 seconds.
Ramsey, the division points leader, finished third with Dude Gibbs of Seaford, Va. and Dustin Storm of Huntington, Md. rounding out the top five finishers.
Rodney Cook of Reidsville, N.C., Timmy Nice of Powhatan, Va., Daniel Watkins of Angier, N.C., Brandon Butler of Sutherland, Va. and Chris Hairfield of Moseley, Va. rounded out the top ten finishers.
The top eight finishers were on the lead lap at the end.
Johnson averaged 78.120 mph in the 150-lap race, which took 46 minutes and 40 seconds to complete.
There have been four different winners in the first six races for the Barkhouser Late Model Stock Car Division at South Boston Speedway. Johnson and Ramsey are tied with two wins each. Gibbs and Jonathan Cash of Oxford, N.C. have one win each.
Burgess Wins MACKA Kart Race
Greg Burgess of Virginia Beach, Va. edged his father, Greg (Bubba) Burgess, Jr. of Virginia Beach, Va. by a car length to win the 10-lap race for the MACKA kart series.
Next Race At South Boston Speedway
NASCAR racing will return to South Boston Speedway on Saturday night, June 14, when South Boston Speedway hosts the running of the Whelen Engineering 150.
The four-race program will be highlighted by a 150-lap race for the drivers and teams of the Barkhouser Late Model Stock Car Division. Twin races for the Limited Sportsman Division and a race for the Budweiser Pure Stock Division are also scheduled as part of the program.
Pit gates will open at 1 p.m. and practice will go from 2:15 p.m. until 3:45 p.m. Grandstand gates will open at 5 p.m. and qualifying time trials will begin at 5:15 p.m. The first race will get the green flag at 7 p.m.
Admission is $10 for adults and $5 for youths ages 7-12. Kids ages 6 and under will be admitted free. Youths must be accompanied by a paid adult in order to receive the discounted admission price.
For more information about the June 14 Whelen Engineering 150 or other events scheduled for the 2008 season, visit the speedway’s website at www.southbostonspeedway.com or telephone the speedway at 434-572-4947 or 1-877-440-1540.
FROM: South Boston Speedway Media Operations
Office Phone: (434) 572-4947 or 1-877-440-1540