Driver & Team Press Releases News
NASCAR WHELEN Southern Modified Tour Driver L.W. Miller Scores Fourth Straight Victory At Caraway On Friday
Jul 7, 2007 - updated Jul 7th, 2007 1:34pm
Web posted by
Asheboro, N.C. --
(July 6, 2007) – L.W. Miller, the Dushore, Pa. native now living in Mooresville, proved that he’s quickly becoming the master at Caraway Speedway on Friday night with his fourth straight victory at the .455-mile oval..
It was Miller’s third win of the 2007 NASCAR Whelen Southern Modified Tour season and fourth straight at the Asheboro short track dating back to the last race of the year there last season.
“That’s just an incredible fact for me because it’s so tough to win at Caraway,” Miller said. “Every driver out here is capable of winning. I tell you what, this Baker Motorsports team has this car rocking every time we roll into Caraway and that’s an awesome feeling for a driver to have. I can’t wait to come back again to be honest with you.”
Miller used his win to regain the Whelen Southern Modified Tour championship lead by 21 points over Junior Miller (no relation).
Frank Fleming finished second, followed by the top five of Brian King, Brandon Hire and James Civali.
Despite coming up short for his first win since the Whelen Southern Modified Tour went under the NASCAR banner in 2005, Fleming was pleased with his night.
“I’m just tickled to be competitive,” Fleming said. “I’ve been up and down so much the last several years so this means a lot. This is two races in a row on the Tour that I’ve been in contention for a win. I’m just proud of my team and what we’ve been able to do to get back to this point because it’s easy for a team to get down when a driver doesn’t do like he should. We’ve just struggled to work harder and now it’s showing up for us out on the track.
“I still have a lot of fire in me and I drove my heart out tonight.”
Miller admits that Fleming could have easily wrecked him to steal the win, but respected his decision to race him in a clean fashion.
“It went green for a long time, but then there at the end we kept getting cautions and that would allow whoever was in second to get a good shot at getting around us,” Miller said. “Once we went green for a while my car was just awesome. Frank ran a clean race and he’s always been a hard gentlemen driver for as long as I’ve known him.”
Burt Myers won his record fifth straight Bud Pole Award – all coming this year – at a speed of 103.370 mph.
The NASCAR Whelen Southern Modified Tour returns to action Saturday, Aug. 4 at the famed Bowman Gray Stadium in Winston-Salem, N.C.
UNOFFICIAL NASCAR Whelen Southern Modified Tour-NASCAR Whelen Southern Modified Tour 150 Results
Saturday At Caraway (N.C.) Speedway
Lap length: 0.455 miles
(Start position in parentheses)
1. (6) L.W. Miller, Mooresville, N.C., Pontiac, 150 laps, 80.189 mph, $2,000.
2. (5) Frank Fleming, Mount Airy, N.C., Pontiac, 150, $1,500.
3. (7) Brian King, Burlington, N.C., Chevrolet, 150, $1,125.
4. (11) Brandon Hire, Winston-Salem, N.C., Chevrolet, 150, $1,050.
5. (2) James Civali, Meriden, Conn., Chevrolet, 150, $1,000.
6. (1) Tim Brown, Cana, VA., Chevrolet, 150, $1,050.
7. (4) Burt Myers, Walnut-Cove, N.C., Chevrolet, 150, $1,000.
8. (9) Jason Myers, Walnut Cove, N.C., Chevrolet, 150, $690.
9. (20) Zach Brewer, Winston-Salem, N.C., Chevrolet, 150, $840.
10. (10) Bobby Hutchens, Lexington, N.C., Chevrolet, 150, $525.
11. (8) Junior Miller, Pine Hall, N.C., Dodge, 150, $525.
12. (19) Thomas Stinson, Chester, VA., Chevrolet, 149, $600.
13. (21) Rich Kuiken, Jr., Staffordville, N.J., Chevrolet, 148, $485.
14. (14) George Brunnhoelzl, Babylon, N.Y., Dodge, 147, $460.
15. (17) Wesley Swartout, Stroudsburg, Penn., Ford, 145, $445.
16. (18) Jay Mize, Clemmons, N.C., Chevrolet, 145, $430.
17. (3) Brian Loftin, Lexington, N.C., Chevrolet, 139, clutch, $420.
18. (15) Gene Pack, Myrtle Beach, S.C., Chevrolet, 138, accident, $410.
19. (13) Andrew Seuss, Hamstead, N.H., Chevrolet, 76, shocks, $400.
20. (12) Brian Pack, Walkertown, N.C., Chevrolet, 51, engine, $390.
21. (16) Dean Ward, Winston-Salem, N.C., Chevrolet, 29, overheating, $380.
Time of Race: 0 hours 51 minutes 4 seconds
Margin of Victory: .604 seconds
Fastest Qualifier: . ( mph, seconds)
Caution Flags: 5 for 25 laps.
Lead Changes: 3 among 4 drivers.
Lap Leaders: T.Brown 1; J.Civalli 2-38; B.Loftin 39-45; L.Miller 46-150.
Standings: 1. L.Miller, 801; 2. J.Miller, 780; 3. B.Myers, 773; 4. T.Brown, 725; 5. J.Myers, 688; 6. B.King, 679; 7. B.Hutchens, 658; 8. G.Brunnhoelzl, 648; 9. B.Pack, 639;
10. F.Fleming, 637.