South Boston Speedway News
After Long Absence, Sellers Back In Victory Lane At South Boston Speedway
Apr 15, 2017 - updated Apr 15th, 2017 8:06am
Web posted by Mike Smith
SOUTH BOSTON, Va. (April 11, 2017) – It looked like Peyton Sellers’ chance for his first South Boston Speedway victory since 2014 disappeared in a spin late in the first of two Late Model Stock races Saturday night.
Sellers knew better though.
“I felt like we had a legitimate shot after that (the spin) in the second race,” recalled Sellers. “I knew it was going to be tough with Philip (Morris) in front of me but I knew we had the car to do it.”
And he did, taking the lead on the first lap and never looking back, leading every lap. Well, that’s not totally true; he was well-aware of who was behind him. Three-time national champion Lee Pulliam was in his mirror most of the race.
“Any time Lee is within a couple of car lengths, you can’t make a mistake,” said Sellers. “He and I ran about the same times for the final 50 laps.”
Sellers last won at South Boston Speedway in 2014 when he won the track title behind five victories. He ran the NASCAR Xfinity Series in 2015 and ran only a few Late Model races before returning to South Boston full time last season.
“We were close last year, but we could never quite get there,” said Sellers, who finished second in track championship points in 2016 despite not winning.
Sellers said he knew on opening day in late March he had a strong car, even though the results didn’t show it. And Saturday night he was fast off the trailer again.
“We were very hungry. Everybody at the shop had put a lot of time and effort into this. Clarence and Allen (sponsors from Clarence’s Steakhouse) had put a lot of time and effort in this,” said Sellers. “This is going to give us some confidence now.”
Had it not been for the first-race spin off the front bumper of Pulliam, Sellers may have picked up two wins. But there were no hard feelings, said Sellers.
“It (the spin) was frustrating. I knew it wasn’t on purpose. It was hard racing,” said Sellers. “He came over and apologized to me after the first race.”
There were lots of folks cheering for Sellers all night that may not have been his fans. Sellers and his team changed their car number
for the race from the familiar No. 26 to the iconic No. 00 of legendary driver Sam Ard, who died last week.
In prerace ceremonies Sellers circled the track slowly with the No. 00 as the crowd stood in silence.
“Dad and I were talking after we heard the news of Sam’s passing. I mentioned it (the number change) and dad said he had thought about that the night before,” said Sellers. “When I mentioned it to H.C. (his brother and crew chief), he had been thinking about it too. It was on everybody’s mind.
“I got up with Clarence and Alan and they were all over it. For Clarence to take the 26 off his car says a lot about what he felt for Sam.”
And a text the next morning reinforced the decision to change numbers.
“Sam’s daughter texted me Sunday morning and said their family was overjoyed by it,” said Sellers.
Racing returns to South Boston Speedway April 26 with a six-race card featuring a 100-lap race for the competitors in the NASCAR Whelen All-American Series Late Model Stock Car Division. Twin 25-lap Limited Sportsman Division races, twin 15-lap races for the Budweiser Pure Stock Division and a 15-lap race for the Budweiser Hornets Division will round out the night’s action.
Registration and pit gates open at 2:30 p.m., practice runs from 4 p.m. until 5 p.m. Grandstand gates will open at 5:30 p.m. and qualifying starts at 6 p.m. The first race gets the green flag at 7 p.m.
Admission is $10 for adults and $5 for youth ages 7-12. Kids ages six and under are admitted free with a paid adult.
Relevant Public Relations