NASCAR Whelen Modified Tour Series News
Myers Muscles Way To Langley Victory Lane Scores Whelen Southern Mod Win After Last-Lap Fireworks
Aug 31, 2014 - updated Aug 31st, 2014 8:56am
Web posted by
Hampton, Va --
Tweet This Release: http://hmtk.co/VWKyXt
Expanded Race Results: http://hmtk.co/VYQmiV
Updated Point Standings: http://hmtk.co/1dYonIx
For Immediate Release
Myers Muscles Way To Langley Victory Lane
Scores Whelen Southern Mod Win After Last-Lap Fireworks
HAMPTON, Va. -- Burt Myers got his first NASCAR Whelen Southern Modified Tour win of 2014 Saturday night and not without controversy.
The 38-year-old Walnut Cove, North Carolina, driver drove to Victory Lane at Langley Speedway after a wild final lap of the Bayport Credit Union 150.
Myers was running second to George Brunnhoelzl III on the final lap when the two made contact coming out of Turn 4. Myers crossed the line first as Brunnhoelzl bounced off the outside wall and spun across the track. After a video review of the incident, NASCAR officials upheld Myers’ win and Brunnhoelzl was scored in second.
Championship points leader Andy Seuss finished third, followed by J.R. Bertuccio and Jason Myers.
After eight races, Seuss leads Brunnhoelzl by 14. Bertuccio is 29 behind Seuss, while both Burt Myers and Danny Bohn are 39 back.
It was Burt Myers' first win since the 2013 season final on the quarter-mile at Charlotte Motor Speedway.
Kyle Ebersole, Bohn, Gary Putnam, Ryan Preece and Luke Fleming rounded out the top 10 at Langley. Earlier in the day, Preece won the Coors Light Pole Award in qualifying, but a late race pit stop cost the NASCAR Whelen Modified Tour regular a shot at the win.
Preece led a race-high 64 laps, while Brunnhoelzl led 55. The race featured seven lead changes among four drivers. It was the first race in which, in lieu of a mid-race break, teams were allowed to pit and change one tire at any point in the race.
The NASCAR Whelen Southern Modified Tour will be right back at it on Friday, Sept. 5 at Caraway Speedway in Sophia, North Carolina.
NASCAR Integrated Marketing Communications
NASCAR Whelen Southern Modified Tour-Bayport Credit Union 150 Results
At Langley Speedway
Lap length: 0.396 miles
(Start position in parentheses)
1. (7) Burt Myers, Walnut Cove, N.C., Ford, 150 laps, 66.679 mph.
2. (3) George Brunnhoelzl, III, West Babylon, N.Y., Chevrolet, 150.
3. (5) Andy Seuss, Hampstead, N.H., Chevrolet, 150.
4. (11) JR Bertuccio, Centereach, N.Y., Chevrolet, 150.
5. (4) Jason Myers, Walnut Cove, N.C., Ford, 150.
6. (6) Kyle Ebersole, Hummelstown, Pa., Ford, 150.
7. (2) Danny Bohn, Freehold, NJ, Chevrolet, 150.
8. (15) Gary Putnam, Vernon, Conn., Chevrolet, 150.
9. (1) Ryan Preece, Berlin, Conn., Chevrolet, 150.
10. (8) Luke Fleming, Mount Airy, N.C., Ford, 150.
11. (17) David Calabrese, Toms River, N.J., Chevrolet, 150.
12. (14) Bobby Measmer, Jr., Concord, N.C., Chevrolet, 150.
13. (10) Thomas Stinson, Chester, Va., Chevrolet, 149.
14. (13) Spencer Davis, Dawsonville, Ga., Pontiac, 148.
15. (9) A.J. Winstead, Bon Air, Va., Chevrolet, 148.
16. (16) Mike Norman, Lewisville, N.C., Chevrolet, 148.
17. (12) Joe Ryan Osborne, Holland, Pa., Chevrolet, 40, ignition.
Time of Race: 53 minutes 27 seconds
Margin of Victory: 0.311 seconds
Fastest Qualifier: R.Preece (94.687 mph, 15.056 seconds)
Caution Flags: 6 for 31 laps.
Lead Changes: 7 among 4 drivers.
Lap Leaders: R. Preece 1-62; G. Brunnhoelzl,III 63; R. Preece 64-65; G. Brunnhoelzl,III 66-84; B. Myers 85-96; D. Calabrese 97-114; G. Brunnhoelzl,III 115-149; B. Myers 150.
Standings: 1. A. Seuss, 343; 2. G. Brunnhoelzl,III, 329; 3. J. Bertuccio, 314; 4. B. Myers, 304; 5. D. Bohn, 304; 6. L. Fleming, 300; 7. G. Putnam, 283; 8. J. Myers, 278; 9.K. Ebersole, 277; 10. S. Davis, 275.