NASCAR Whelen Modified Tour Series News
Stefanik Adds Bristol To Wins List
Aug 22, 2013 - updated Aug 22nd, 2013 9:08am
Web posted by
Bristol, Tenn --
Tweet This Release:
Expanded Race Results:
Updated Modified Tour Point Standings:
Updated Southern Modified Tour Point Standings:
For Immediate Release
Stefanik Adds Bristol To Wins List
74th Career Victory For 7-Time NASCAR Whelen Modified Tour Champion
Bristol, Tenn. (Aug. 21, 2013)
– Mike Stefanik says he is coming to the end of the road, but showed his old form Wednesday night at Bristol Motor Speedway.
55-year-old seven-time NASCAR Whelen Modified Tour champion took the
lead from Todd Szegedy with 11 laps
to go in the TitanRoof 150 and went on to collect his second win of the
season in the annual combination event with the NASCAR Whelen Southern
Modified Tour. The victory also extended his Whelen Modified Tour career
record for wins to 74.
“I’m playing it cool right now, but I’m freaking out inside,” said Stefanik. “This is a huge, huge win in my
career. This is right at the top of the list, if not the top.”
settled for second place for his second runner-up finish at Bristol in
as many years. Ron Yuhas Jr.
followed in third which equals his best career finish first established
at Thompson (Conn.) Speedway in 2007. Whelen Modified Tour points
leader Ryan Preece finished in the fourth position with NASCAR Sprint
Cup Series competitor Ryan Newman just behind in
Woody Pitkat, Eric Goodale, Justin Bonsignore, Burt Myers and Jimmy Zacharias completed the top 10. Myers was
the top-finishing Southern Modified Tour competitor.
Coors Light Pole Award winner Donny Lia led the first 91 circuits but was involved in an accident on Lap 92
and was scored in 30th in the final rundown.
The race had three lead changes among four drivers with 10 caution periods. The race was shortened from the
scheduled 150 laps to 135 due to time constraints.
the Whelen Modified Tour championship standings Preece extended his
lead on Doug Coby to 28 points with four
races to go in the season while George Brunnhoelzl III leads Kyle
Ebersole by 20 tallies in the Southern Modified Tour season standings
with Burt Myers trailing at 21 points off the pace.
The NASCAR Whelen Southern Modified Tour is back on the track on Saturday, Aug. 31 for the
Newport News Shipbuilding/Bayport Credit Union 150 on Saturday, Aug. 31
at Langley Speedway in Hampton, Va., while the NASCAR Whelen Modified
Tour will return to Riverhead (N.Y.) Raceway for the Green Earth
Technologies 200 on Saturday,
NASCAR Integrated Marketing Communications
NASCAR WHELEN MODIFIED TOUR / NASCAR Whelen Southern Modified Tour
TitanRoof 150 Unofficial Results
At Bristol Motor Speedway
Lap length: 0.533 miles
(Start position in parentheses)
1. (18) Mike Stefanik, Coventry, R.I., Chevrolet, 135 laps, 57.744 mph.
2. (5) Todd Szegedy, Ridgefield, Conn., Ford, 135.
3. (16) Ron Yuhas, Jr., Groton, Conn., Chevrolet, 135.
4. (3) Ryan Preece, Berlin, Conn., Ford, 135.
5. (19) Ryan Newman, South Bend, In., Chevrolet, 135.
6. (14) Woody Pitkat, Stafford, Conn., Pontiac, 135.
7. (4) Eric Goodale, Riverhead, N.Y., Chevrolet, 135.
8. (10) Justin Bonsignore, Holtsville, N.Y., Chevrolet, 135.
9. (9) Burt Myers, Walnut Grove, N.C., Ford, 135.
10. (21) Jimmy Zacharias, Candor, N.Y., Chevrolet, 135.
11. (26) Chuck Hossfeld, Ransomville, N.Y., Chevrolet, 135.
12. (24) Ron Silk, Norwalk, Conn., Chevrolet, 135.
13. (25) Kyle Ebersole, Hummelstown, Pa., Ford, 135.
14. (11) George Brunnhoelzl III, West Babylon, N.Y., Chevrolet, 135.
15. (23) John Smith, Mount Airy, N.C., Chevrolet, 135.
16. (7) Tim Brown, Cana, Va., Chevrolet, 135.
17. (8) Ted Christopher, Plainville, Conn., Chevrolet, 135.
18. (33) Ken Heagy, Calverton, N.Y., Ford, 134.
19. (13) Bryan Dauzat, Alexandria, La., Chevrolet, 134.
20. (32) Gary Putnam, Concord, N.C., Chevrolet, 133.
21. (29) Ed Flemke, Jr., Southington, Conn., Chevrolet, 133.
22. (31) Jamie Tomaino, Howell, N.J., Chevrolet, 132.
23. (6) Doug Coby, Milford, Conn., Chevrolet, 130.
24. (20) Eric Berndt, Cromwell, Conn., Chevrolet, 129, accident.
25. (15) Andy Seuss, Hampstead, N.H., Chevrolet, 125, accident.
26. (35) Wade Cole, Riverton, Conn., Chevrolet, 111, too slow.
27. (36) Jeremy Gerstner, Wesley Chapel, Fla., Chevrolet, 109.
28. (22) Rob Fuller, Boylston, Mass., Chevrolet, 104, accident.
29. (27) Luke Fleming, Mt. Airy, N.C., Ford, 102, accident.
30. (1) Donny Lia, Jericho, N.Y., Dodge, 93, accident.
31. (30) Cole Powell, Mount Brydges, Ontario, Chevrolet, 93.
32. (17) Bobby Santos, Franklin, Mass., Chevrolet, 77, fire.
33. (12) Rowan Pennink, Huntingdon Valley, Pa., Chevrolet, 76, accident.
34. (28) Jason Myers, Walnut Cove, N.C., Ford, 32, accident.
35. (34) J.R. Bertuccio, Centereach, N.Y., Chevrolet, 30, accident.
36. (2) Bryon Chew, Mattituck, N.Y., Chevrolet, 9, accident.
Time of Race: 1 hour 14 minutes 46 seconds
Margin of Victory: 0.092 seconds
Fastest Qualifier: D.Lia (128.867 mph, 14.806 seconds)
Caution Flags: 10 for 49 laps.
Lead Changes: 3 among 4 drivers.
Lap Leaders: D. Lia 1-91; R. Preece 92-102; T. Szegedy 103-124; M. Stefanik 125-135.
Standings: Ryan Preece 406, Doug Coby 378, Mike Stefanik 358, Rowan
Pennink 343, Ron Silk 334, Woody Pitkat 332, Ted Christopher 331, Donny
Lia 330, Justin Bonsignore
325, Todd Szegedy 320
Standings: George Brunnhoelzl, III 296, Kyle Ebersole 276, Burt Myers
275, Tim Brown 261, Andy Seuss 256, Jason Myers 245, Gary Putnam 244,
John Smith 240, Luke Fleming
* 237, Bryan Dauzat 220