Caraway Speedway News
Brunnhoelzl Captures Caraway Win Ties Miller Atop All-Time Wins List
Apr 22, 2012 - updated Apr 22nd, 2012 11:08am
Web posted by Tim Southers
Asheboro, N.C. --
NASCAR HomeTracks.com LINKS
Tweet This Release: http://hmtk.co/JnTX1K
Expanded Race Results: http://hmtk.co/I2nRaD
Driver Standings: http://hmtk.co/H7C4Ux
For Immediate Release:April 21, 2012) George Brunnhoelzl III withstood three attempts at a green-white-checkered finish and hung on to win the Parking Lot Maintenance Headquarters 150 in NASCAR Whelen Southern Modified Tour action on Saturday at Caraway Speedway.
Brunnhoelzl, the two-time Tour champion out of West Babylon, N.Y., dominated the day. He posted the fastest time in practice and set a new track record in qualifying before going out and leading a race-high 140 laps en route to his second victory of the season. It was his seventh career win at Caraway, but more importantly it was his 13th career Tour win which places him in a tie atop the all-time list with L.W. Miller.
In that final restart, Brunnhoelzl held off Miller and a hard-charging Jason Myers at the line. Rookies Kyle Ebersole and Michael Speeney crossed the line in fourth and fifth, respectively.
Daniel Hemric, Thomas Stinson, Bryan Dauzat, Frank Fleming and Burt Myers rounded out the top-10 finishers on the evening.
Burt Myers was running third heading into the last restart, but was penalized for aggressive driving and was scored as the last car on the lead lap.
The race was slowed due to caution 11 times for 45 laps and the race lead changed hands just two times between two drivers.
In the point standings, Brunnhoelzl opened up a six-point lead on Miller with rookie Danny Bohn sitting in third, 26 points in back of the leader.
The NASCAR Whelen Southern Modified Tour heads into its annual spring hiatus and is back in action next on July 6 for the Firecracker 150 at Caraway Speedway.
NASCAR Whelen Southern Modified Tour-Parking Lot Maintenance Headquarters 150 Unofficial Results
At Caraway (N.C.) Speedway
Lap length: 0.455 miles
(Start position in parentheses)
1. (1) George Brunnhoelzl, III, West Babylon, N.Y., 160 laps, 52.711 mph.
2. (8) L W Miller, Dushore, PA, 160
3. (10) Jason Myers, Walnut Cove, N.C., Ford, 160
4. (5) Kyle Ebersole, Hummelstown, PA, 160
5. (18) Michael Speeney, Newtown, PA, Chevrolet, 160
6. (16) Daniel Hemric, Kannapolis, N.C., 160
7. (6) Thomas Stinson, Chester, VA, 160
8. (14) Bryan Dauzat, Alexandria, LA, 160
9. (3) Frank Fleming, Mount Airy, N.C., 160
10. (4) Burt Myers, Walnut Cove, NC, Ford, 160
11. (2) Danny Bohn, Freehold, NJ, 159
12. (7) Brian Loftin, Lexington, NC, 159
13. (19) Gary Fountain, Minneola, Fla, 159
14. (9) Tim Brown, Cana, VA, Chevrolet, 155
15. (20) Gary Putnam, Concord, NC, 150
16. (12) Renee Dupuis, Glastonbury, Conn, Chevrolet, 150
17. (13) Rich Kuiken, Staffordsville, N.J., Chevrolet, 150
18. (21) Mike Norman, Lewisville, NC, 148
19. (11) John Smith, Mount Airy, NC, 139, brakes
20. (22) Joe Scarbrough, Richmond, VA, 99, engine
21. (15) Corey LaJoie, Concord, NC, 75, accident
22. (17) Andy Seuss, Hampstead, N.H., 25, accident
Time of Race: 1 hour 22 minutes 52 seconds
Margin of Victory: .882 seconds
Fastest Qualifier: G.Brunnhoelzl, III (104.678 mph, 15.648 seconds)
Caution Flags: 11 for 45 laps.
Lead Changes: 2 among 2 drivers.
Lap Leaders: G. Brunnhoelzl,III 1-42; B. Loftin 43-62; G. Brunnhoelzl,III 63-160.
Standings: 1. G. Brunnhoelzl,III, 171; 2. L. Miller, 165; 3. D. Bohn, 145; 4. J. Myers, 143; 5. B. Myers, 142; 6. B. Loftin, 139; 7. T. Brown, 135; 8. K. Ebersole, 132; 9. T. Stinson, 129; 10. F. Fleming, 127.