NASCAR Whelen Modified Tour Series News
Brunnhoelzl Triumphs At Tri-County
Sep 25, 2011 - updated Sep 25th, 2011 11:04am
Web posted by Tim Southers
Hudson, N.C. --
For Immediate Release
Fourth Win Puts Stranglehold On Season Points Lead
George Brunnhoelzl III’s fourth with of the 2011 campaign moved him one step closer to a second NASCAR Whelen Southern Modified Tour championship as he took home the Tri-County 150 Saturday at Tri-County Motor Speedway.
After earning the Coors Light Pole Award earlier in the evening, Brunnhoelzl led early on and the regained the lead from Jason Myers with a decisive pass on Lap 73. The 2009 tour champion put it on cruise control from there for his 10th career victory.
Brunnhoelzl stretched his lead by more than 10 car-lengths as the end neared, but just the second caution of the event came out with five laps to go to negate the significant advantage. The West Babylon, N.Y., native was able to hold off his Andy Seuss – his teammate – on the final restart to seal the deal.
Seuss settled for second followed by last year’s Tri-County winner Burt Myers, Brandon Ward and Jason Myers in the top five. Tim Brown, L.W. Miller, Austin Pack Renee Dupuis and Frank Fleming brought home the top 10.
With the victory, Brunnhoelzl extended his lead in the championship standings by 20 points on Seuss Saturday night. Brunnhoelzl now leads his Ideal Racing teammate 1,875-1,721.
The NASCAR Whelen Southern Modified Tour has three races remaining on the schedule. Up next will be the Caraway 150 on Saturday, Oct. 1 at Caraway Speedway in Asheboro, N.C.
For additional information, contact:
Tim Southers, NASCAR IMC, (386) 235-3634 or email@example.com
Whelen Southern Modified Tour-Tri-County 150 Unofficial Results
At Tri-County Motor Speedway
Lap length: 0.4 miles
(Start position in parentheses)
1. (1) George Brunnhoelzl III, West Babylon, NY, Chevrolet, 152 laps, 74.985 mph.
2. (5) Andy Seuss, Hampstead, NH, Chevrolet, 152.
3. (2) Burt Myers, Walnut Cove, NC, Ford, 152.
4. (13) Brandon Ward, Winston-Salem, N.C., Chevrolet, 152.
5. (3) Jason Myers, Walnut Cove, NC, Ford, 152.
6. (6) Tim Brown, Cana, VA, Chevrolet, 152.
7. (7) L.W. Miller, Dushore, PA, Chevrolet, 152.
8. (14) Austin Pack, Winston-Salem, NC, Chevrolet, 152.
9. (4) Renee Dupuis, Glastonbury, Conn., Chevrolet, 152.
10. (18) Frank Fleming, Mt. Airy, NC, Ford, 151.
11. (16) Josh Nichols, Winston-Salem, NC, Chevrolet, 151.
12. (11) John Smith, Mount Airy, NC, Chevrolet, 150.
13. (17) Terry Gaither, Walkertown, N.C., Chevrolet, 150.
14. (10) Jonathan Kievman, Deerfield Beach, FL, Chevrolet, 150.
15. (9) Dean Ward, Winston-Salem, N.C., Chevrolet, 150.
16. (15) Mike Norman, Lewisville, NC, Ford, 149.
17. (12) Darryl Lacks, Forrest, Va., Chevrolet, 139.
18. (8) Thomas Stinson, Chester, VA, Chevrolet, 62, motor.
Time of Race: 48 minutes 39 seconds
Margin of Victory: .584 seconds
Fastest Qualifier: G.Brunnhoelzl III (94.681 mph, 15.209 seconds)
Caution Flags: 2 for 12 laps.
Lead Changes: 2 among 2 drivers.
Lap Leaders: G. Brunnhoelzl III 1-57; J. Myers 58-72; G. Brunnhoelzl III 73-152.
Standings: 1. G. Brunnhoelzl III, 1875; 2. A. Seuss, 1721; 3. J. Myers, 1652; 4. J. Smith, 1650; 5. L. Miller, 1601; 6. F. Fleming, 1584; 7. T. Brown, 1571; 8. A. Pack,1474; 9. B. Myers, 1377; 10. T. Stinson, 1164.