Caraway Speedway News
Miller Back In Victory Lane, Dominates at Caraway for 12th Whelen Southern Modified Win
Jul 2, 2011 - updated Jul 2nd, 2011 10:32pm
Web posted by
For Immediate Release
Dominates at Caraway for 12th Whelen Southern Modified Win
ASHEBORO, N.C. -- L.W. Miller capped off a dominating run Friday night with a furious finish to claim the Firecracker 150 presented by Budweiser at Caraway Speedway.
The Dushore, Pa., native led the final 151 laps. But he had to withstand a challenge from points leader George Brunnhoelzl III on two green-white-checkered finish attempts before claiming his first NASCAR Whelen Southern Modified win since August 10, 2010.
It was the 12th career win for Miller and gave him sole possession of first place in the tour record book. Miller, the 2007 champion, had been tied atop the career wins list with 2008 champion Brian Loftin. Seven of Miller's wins have come at Caraway.
Brunnhoelzl settled for second and Andy Seuss finished third. John Smith and Burt Myers were fourth and fifth, respectively.
Brian Loftin won the Coors Light Pole Award earlier in the day and led the first seven laps. However, he finished 13th after encountering engine issues.
Brunnhoelzl extended his points lead over Smith 80 points. Thomas Stinson is third, followed by Miller and Jason Myers.
The NASCAR Whelen Southern Modified Tour will return to the track Saturday, Aug. 6 for the Strutmasters.com 199 at Bowman Gray Stadium in Winston-Salem, N.C.
For more information, contact: Tim Southers, NASCAR Integrated Marketing Communications, (386) 235-3634 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Whelen Southern Modified Tour-Firecracker 150 presented by Budweiser Unofficial Results
At Caraway (N.C.) Speedway
Lap length: 0.455 miles
(Start position in parentheses)
1. (4) L.W. Miller, Dushore, PA, Chevrolet, 158 laps, 76.119 mph.
2. (3) George Brunnhoelzl III, West Babylon, NY, Chevrolet, 158.
3. (6) Andy Seuss, Hampstead, NH, Chevrolet, 158.
4. (7) John Smith, Mount Airy, NC, Chevrolet, 158.
5. (5) Burt Myers, Walnut Cove, NC, Ford, 158.
6. (9) Corey Lajoie, Concord, NC, Chevrolet, 158.
7. (12) Thomas Stinson, Chester, VA, Chevrolet, 158.
8. (11) Austin Pack, Winston-Salem, NC, Chevrolet, 158.
9. (8) Frank Fleming, Mt. Airy, NC, Ford, 158.
10. (10) Jonathan Kievman, Deerfield Beach, FL, Chevrolet, 158.
11. (15) Mike Norman, Lewisville, NC, Ford, 156.
12. (2) Jason Myers, Walnut Cove, NC, Ford, 156.
13. (1) Brian Loftin, Lexington, NC, Chevrolet, 147, engine.
14. (14) Michael Speeney, Newtown, Pa., Chevrolet, 68, oil pressure.
15. (16) Donnie Lacks, Forrest, Va., Chevrolet, 63, carburetor.
16. (13) Josh Nichols, Winston-Salem, NC, Chevrolet, 41, motor.
Time of Race: 0 hours 56 minutes 40 seconds
Margin of Victory: .359 seconds
Fastest Qualifier: B.Loftin (102.375 mph, 16 seconds)
Caution Flags: 6 for 23 laps.
Lead Changes: 3 among 2 drivers.
Lap Leaders: B. Loftin 1-6; L. Miller 7-15; B. Loftin 16; L. Miller 17-158.
Standings: 1. G. Brunnhoelzl III, 875; 2. J. Smith, 790; 3. T. Stinson, 742; 4. L. Miller, 720; 5. J. Myers, 720; 6. T. Brown, 699; 7. A. Seuss, 699; 8. F. Fleming, 691; 9.A. Pack, 655; 10. J. Nichols, 591.