Motor Mile Speedway News
Phillip Morris withdraws from tonight's Motor Mile Race due to weight restrictions
Jun 12, 2010 - updated Jun 12th, 2010 11:52am
Web posted by Bob Barney
The shock post on RaceRap last night by Jim Dean, owner of the
Clarence Steak House NASCAR late model car driven by National
Champion Phillip Morris declaring that Phillip would not race in
tonight's NASCAR late model event at Motor Mile Speedway has
generated hundreds of reads in the first few hours of the post.
Normally, Friday nights are the slowest for RaceRap readership, but
the one posts generated the most hits on the site in recent memory.
This week, a series of posts from some named and unnamed people have
suggested that Phillip was not going to race. RaceRap site co-owner
Tammy Barney had been informed about the possibility of this
happening and allowed most post to go through, as this is probably
the biggest story in NASCAR's All American Series in a long time.
Jim Dean, who owns the car was also the car owner of other famous
drivers in the past. He owned former national NASCAR champion Mark
McFarland's car as well as Denny Hamlin's black, #99 which, together
with McFarland won almost 100 feature wins in a single year –
perhaps the most wins ever, in a single year, by a late model team.
Hamlin has went on to Sprint Cup fame as one of the best drivers on
the circuit today.
In his statement Dean wrote: “Dear Fans as you know we are not in
agreement with the handicap format a MMS and wanted to confirm with
sorrow that we are not going to be participating in the event this
saturday night because of the existing circumstances.
Philip has anguished over this decision and we apologize for this
late notification to our fans. In hindsight we were
overly optimistic that this was going to be resolved. We
will be taking the weekend off to reorganize and give philip and
myself an opportunity to create a new schedule for the remainder of
the season. We are fortunate to of had your support and
hope you all will continue to support us at the local tracks and on
our agonizing decision. We hope that you will continue to
support MMS, arguably the best short track in the country, we just
refuse to race on a handicapped format, the competition is to good,
and the risk on our equipment and philip is too great. We
will be sadden to have the green flag drop and not be battling for
the win, however, all of us here at Dean Motorsports will be wishing
our competitors good fortune. I will post as early as
possible next week about our future schedule.”
Within minutes the board lit up with
reads. The link to his message and replies can be found here:
RaceRap has had no official comments from the track as of this time
on their reactions, but Tammy Barney believes from some sources that
they may be reconsidering the rule which adds weight to anyone who
wins two events in a row. On top of this, each additional consecutive
win result in an additional 25 pounds to be added, with no maximum
added weight limitations. Dean told RaceRap that this rule is not
only unfair, but unsafe,” because the added weight is just too much
for these cars to race on. “Nascar specs these cars at 3100 pounds.
50, 75, 100, or even more is just not safe,” said Dean
Even now, Dean is hoping that the track does reconsider, but has not
heard anything from them.